Founded by Dr. Dwight E. Harken in 1951, we are the nations oldest peer-to-peer community based support group for heart patients just like you! We are heart patients and caregivers ourselves. Mended Hearts' physician-endorsed, peer-to-peer support network assists patients and caregivers from "diagnoses through the journey of recovery " with social, emotional and practical support.
Adjusting to life after a heart event is challenging! YOU ARE NOT ALONE. Learn how to live a quality life after a heart event and how to integrate heart healthy lifestyle changes into your daily life. You have been given a second chance, make a difference!
We also have groups nationwide to address the needs of families of children with congenital heart diseases or defects (CHD's). You can learn more about what we do for these families at www.mendedlittlehearts.org.
Anchorage Chapter #290 has been assisting the Anchorage community for 20+ years. We are active in local hospitals and throughout the community providing moral support to heart patients, their families and caregivers. As such, our volunteers have visited with over 7000 bedside patients along with 4800+ family members/caregivers during this time period. Besides offering moral support, our trained and certified visitation members also provide educational information such as a personal copy of the Heart Guide as well as recommendations for healthy lifestyle choices and tips for medication adherence. This is very beneficial as increasing medical evidence points to the value of emotional support for heart patients during hospitalization and recovery. In addition, members conduct monthly support meetings where guest speakers discuss an array of heart related topics and members interact with one another discussing their concerns. Chapter 290 provides volunteers and financial support to health forums, AHA heart walk/run, Go Red events and conducts fund raising events throughout the year in which we utilize the proceeds to assist the Anchorage community in fighting heart disease. Proceeds from our annual charity golf tournament have provided 30+ Automatic External Defibrillators’ (AED’s), and cardio fitness equipment to organizations in Anchorage and surrounding area.
Alaska Pick, Click and Give Program for 2023. Please consider giving to Mended Hearts Inc so we may continue our current programs and add new ones for the community. AED’s average $1400.00 each, as such all donations are appreciated! Thank you in advance for your kind consideration and donation in support of Alaskan heart patients and their caregivers. Lastly, because we are all volunteers, your donations will be used to fund programs and not salaries.
Chapter Initiatives for 2023 Include:
1. Increase the number of members in Chapter 290 by 10%.
2. Increase the number of members in the Trained /Accredited Visitation Program by 50%.
3. Conduct monthly meetings with focus on patients and caregivers.
4. Provide Guest Speakers that discuss heart healthy topics.
5. Provide MH briefings/information at Cardiac Rehabs; health fairs in Anchorage, Mat Su, Kenai, Seward, and Fairbanks communities.
6. Conduct a successful Annual Charity Golf Tournament (Aug 16, 2023 @ JBER-Richardson Creek Course)
7. Remain involved with Jump Rope for Kids; Heart Run/Walk; Go Red
8. Provide AED’s and cardio fitness equipment to community groups.
9. Continue to support Mended Little Hearts locally and nationally.
10. Support cardio fitness programs for heart patients and families throughout Alaska.
11. Increase our support for Children with Cardiovascular Disease
12. Continue our support of the heart patient summer camp