Founded by Dr. Dwight E. Harken in 1951, we are the nations oldest peer-to-peer community based support group for heart patients just like you! We are heart patients and caregivers ourselves. Mended Hearts' physician-endorsed, peer-to-peer support network assists patients and caregivers from "diagnoses through the journey of recovery " with social, emotional and practical support.
Adjusting to life after a heart event is challenging! YOU ARE NOT ALONE. Learn how to live a quality life after a heart event and how to integrate heart healthy lifestyle changes into your daily life. You have been given a second chance, make a difference!
We also have groups nationwide to address the needs of families of children with congenital heart diseases or defects (CHD's). You can learn more about what we do for these families at www.mendedlittlehearts.org.
Anchorage Chapter #290 has been assisting the Anchorage community for 15+years. We are active in local hospitals and throughout the community providing moral support to heart patients, their families and caregivers. As such, our volunteers have visited with over 5000 bedside patients along with over 4000 family members/caregivers during this time period. Besides offering moral support, our trained and certified visitation members also provide educational information such as recommendations for healthy lifestyle choices and tips for medication adherence. This is very beneficial as increasing medical evidence points to the value of emotional support for heart patients during hospitalization. In addition, members conduct monthly support meetings where guest speakers discuss an array of heart related topics and members interact with one another discussing their concerns. Chapter 290 supports health forums, AHA heart walk/run and conducts fund raising events throughout the year in which we utilize the proceeds to assist the Anchorage community in fighting heart disease. Proceeds from our annual charity golf tournament have provided 15+ Automatic External Defibrillators’ (AED’s) to several community organizations; provided cardio fitness equipment to several organizations in Anchorage; funded cardiac maintenance programs for patients in Fairbanks; and co-sponsored a weekly walking program in the Anchorage Dome for senior citizens. Lastly, we have partnered with the Alaska Club throughout Alaska to defer initiation fees and provide a free 90 day cancellation policy for NEW Mended Heart Members and their families (some restrictions apply) !! Call Kari Ballinger @ 907-864-7136
Chapter Initiatives for 2019 Include:
1. Increase the number of members in Chapter 290 by 10%.
2. Increase the number of members in the Trained /Accredited Visitation Program by 100%.
3. Conduct monthly meetings with focus on patients and caregivers.
4. Provide Guest Speakers that discuss heart healthy topics.
5. Provide MH briefings/information at Cardiac Rehabs; health fairs in Anchorage, Mat Su, Kenai, Seward, and Fairbanks communities.
6. Conduct a successful Annual Charity Golf Tournament (Friday 9 Aug 2019 @ JBER-Richardson Creek Course)
7. Remain involved with Jump Rope for Kids; Heart Run/Walk; Go Red
8. Provide AED’s and cardio fitness equipment to community groups.
9. Continue to support Mended Little Hearts locally and nationally.
10. Establish a cardio fitness program for heart patients and families throughout Alaska. Update April 2019-Partnered with Alaska Club
--Update March 2019-We have provided a grant to Anchorage Senior Center to establish a walking program at the DOME in Anchorage. Contact the Senior Center for details on transportation to events.